Kohler, Kenneth J.
Attorney Ken Kohler graduated from Hamline School of Law. He has practiced criminal law for more than 30 years. He appears in all District Courts in northwest Minnesota and North Dakota, as well as Federal Courts, Drug and Juvenile courts.
Ken began his legal career as an assistant county attorney working extensively with law enforcement personnel. He both prosecuted and defended serious felonies and drug cases. In 1994, Ken successfully ran as the Nobles County Attorney where he served for two ter ms.
There, he again worked with law enforcement personnel and handled all serious criminal prosecutions. In 2002, he moved to Clay County where he took over the chief criminal prosecutor's position with the Clay County Attorney's Office. In 2006, he was appointed County Attorney in Clay County (2nd county he's achieved the chief prosecutor position) to complete the term of the former atto rn ey. Shortly thereafter, Ken was one of four finalists considered for judicial appointment in Clay County.
He joined Vogel Law Firm in 2006 as a criminal defense attorney in the firm's Moorhead office. While his caseload involves major felonies, it also encompasses other misdemeanor cases, such as DUl's, traffic, juvenile, drug and many other charges. Ken's experience in the courtroom is extensive having handled over 100 jury trials.
Ken was also a member of the Minnesota Army National Guard, appointed as a Judge Advocate General UAG) Officer for 11 years, achieving the rank of Major.
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- General Litigation
Admitted to Practice
- Minnesota, 1982
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1982
- North Dakota, 2007
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota, 2007
- Cass County Bar Association
- Clay County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- 5th District Bar Association, Past President
- American Bar Association
- 7th District Bar Association
- Minnesota County Attorneys Association, Past Board Member
- The National District Attorney's Association, Member
- The 13th District Bar Association, President, 1992
- The Ethics Committee of the Thirteenth Judicial District, Past Chairman
- 5th District Bar Association, Ethics Chairman
- State of Minnesota v. Lanam, 459 N.W.2d 656 (1990) - Supreme Court of Minnesota
- National Speaker for the National District Attorneys Association on Rural Domestic Issues, The National Advocacy Center in Columbia, South Carolina
- State Speaker for the Minnesota County Attorneys Association on Investigating & Prosecuting Domestic Abuse and Sexual Assault with Immigrant or Refugee Victims, Grand Rapids, Minnesota and St. Cloud, Minnesota
- Local Speaker for groups including Law Enforcement Agencies, Social Services Golden AK, Kiwanis, DARE, Worthington and Moorhead High School Classes, Moorhead State and Technical Colleges, Worthington Community College
- Judge for the Mock-trial High School Program
- Minnesota Counties Computer Cooperative - County Attorney User Group
- Clay County and Nobles County Child Protection Teams
- United Way - Past Board Member
- Worthington YMCA - Past Board Member - Past President
- Southwest Minnesota Drug Task Force (Multi-County Task Force)
- Minnesota Gang Strike Force (Speaker at training seminar)
- Quad-State Rural Enforcement Team (which includes law enforcement officials from Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota)
- Past member of the Kiwanis International Club
- Past Engineer/Fireman with the Worthington Volunteer Fire Department