H. Patrick Weir Jr.
H. Patrick Weir Jr.
Pat Weir is a managing partner and leads the Vogel Law Firm’s wrongful death and personal injury practice group. For more than 25 years, Pat has represented only those individuals and families who have suffered serious or fatal injuries as a result of another’s conduct. In the course of his career, Pat has secured millions of dollars in verdicts and out-of-court settlements for his clients’ personal injury, wrongful death, and product liability claims.*
While Pat’s practice is primarily focused in North Dakota and Minnesota, he has also represented clients in other states such as South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Illinois, Arizona, and North Carolina. Pat is also a frequent participant in mediations and arbitrations throughout the country.
Pat received his undergraduate degree in 1985 from the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, Minnesota, and is a 1989 graduate of the University of Denver, College of Law. He is a past adjunct professor of litigation at Minnesota State University – Moorhead, Minnesota, and currently mentors pre-law students at the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, Minnesota.
He and his wife have four grown children and to the extent he is able, Pat continues to enjoy his ever diminishing ability to play hockey, golf, and downhill ski. Family and faith are important parts of Pat’s life.
* Past results are reported to provide the reader with an indication of the type of litigation and results secured in the past and does not and should not be construed to create an expectation of result in any other case, as all cases are dependent upon their own unique fact situation and applicable law.
- Wrongful Death
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Mass Torts
- Civil Litigation
Honors and Distinctions
Over the years, as an attorney who represents individuals and families who have been injured or lost a loved one as the result of another’s conduct, Pat has been privileged to receive national recognition from his peers. Listed below are some of those Honors:
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
The Litigation Counsel of America is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective and by invitation only. Fellows are selected based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation. The LCA is aggressively diverse in its composition. Established as a trial and appellate lawyer honorary society, the LCA represents the best in law among its membership and membership is by invitation only. (www.trialcounsel.org)
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, The Trial Law Institute
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar and Million Dollar Advocates Forum
The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Less than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members. (www.milliondollaradvocates.com)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2011-2019)
Since founded in 1983, Best Lawyers has ranked attorneys annually through an exhaustive peer-review survey. More than 40,000 attorneys participate in the voting process, casting nearly 4 million votes on the legal abilities and skills of other attorneys in their practice areas. (www.bestlawyers.com)
- Named as Best Lawyers’ 2014-2015 Plaintiff’s Personal Injury “Lawyer of the Year” for Fargo, North Dakota
- Listed in Great Plains Super Lawyers (Plaintiff’s Personal Injury) (2012-2019)
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. (www.superlawyers.com)
- Listed as a Litigation Star – Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys. (2010-2015)
The Guide is compiled by the publishers of the leading financial news magazines Institutional Investor and Euromoney. (www.benchmarklitigation.com)
- Listed in Minnesota’s Best Lawyers, Personal Injury Litigation, Minnesota Monthly Business Magazine (2012-2014)
- Listed as a Star Litigator, Plaintiff’s Personal Injury and Wrongful Death, Chambers USA (2012-2017)
- Listed in the National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” (2015-2017)
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state or region who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase objective and uniformly applied process that includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Membership is extended only to the select few of the most qualified attorneys from each state or region who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile measured by objective and uniformly applied standards in compliance with state bar and national Rule 4-7. (www.thenationaltriallawyers.org/ntl-groups/top-100-trial-lawyers)
Admitted to Practice
- North Dakota, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1997
- Cass County Bar Association
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Montana Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Minnesota Association for Justice
- North Dakota Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association
- Adjunct Professor of Litigation, Minnesota State University – Moorhead, Minnesota
- Mentor- Pre-Law Students College of St Scholastica Duluth, MN
- Tort Law Desk Reference, A Fifty-State Compendium, (North Dakota)