Dan’s areas of concentration include oil, gas & energy law, products liability, malpractice, transportation and insurance law together with general trial, appellate and ADR practice. He attended the University of the Americas in Mexico City, Mexico, the University of California at Berkeley, and is a 1970 graduate of Lawrence University. He received his law degree in 1974 from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
Dan is the firm’s representative and served on the Board of Directors for the American Law Firm Association, was the State Representative for the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and has actively participated in many national, regional, and state bar activities. He is a past member of the Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel and the International Association of Defense Counsel, past president of the North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, and has received national recognition (Fred Sievert Award) from DRI for his defense bar work.
Dan enjoys fishing, hunting and tennis. He speaks and reads Spanish.
Honors and Distinctions
- “The Best Lawyers in America,” in Product Liability Litigation-Defendants, 2007 – 2021, 2024
- Great Plains Super Lawyer®, 2007 – 2023
- Listed as a Leading North Dakota General Commercial Litigation attorney by Chambers USA, 2012 – 2021
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated from Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyer 2014 Fargo Product Liability Litigation – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year”
- North Dakota State Bar Association, Member, 1974 – Present
- North Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, Past President, 1988 – Present
- American Law Firm Association (ALFA), Firm’s Representative & Served on the Board of Directors
- Defense Research Institute, State Representative
Admitted to Practice
- North Dakota, 1974
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- United States Tax Court; U.S. Court of Claims
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Montana
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit