Vogel Law Firm’s education law attorneys provide comprehensive services in this highly specialized area of law. Our attorneys offer full-scale services to school districts, providing general counsel and legal representation at both the state and federal levels on a variety of issues, including:
- Contract negotiations and drafting
- Impasse and fact finding commission proceedings
- Contract nonrenewal and discharge hearings
- Employment and labor law counsel
- Policy drafting and implementation
- Board training
- Student discipline
- Workplace investigations
- IDEA and Section 504 compliance
- FERPA compliance
- Title IX counsel and training
- Open meeting law and records compliance
- Defense in court and administrative proceedings
- Real estate and business transactions
We routinely handle matters involving:
- Nonrenewal hearings: We advise school districts on all aspects of the contemplated contract nonrenewal process, including identifying reasons for contemplated nonrenewal supported by performance documentation or a need to reduce to staff; identifying deadlines and timelines under state law; identifying proper hearing procedures; communicating with union representatives (when applicable); and representing school districts at nonrenewal hearing.
- Discharge hearings: We advise school districts on all aspects of the contemplated discharge process, including identifying grounds supporting discharge for cause under state law; ensuring proper procedures for a fair and impartial discharge hearing; ensuring proper communications and limited review by school board members prior to the hearing; petitioning the appointment of a procedural administrative law judge; communicating with union representatives (when applicable); and representing school districts in the prehearing, discharge hearing, and post-hearing procedures.
- Workplace investigations: When school districts need to investigate complaints regarding administration, teachers, or staff, our attorneys can offer legal counsel on proper investigation practices. Whether the district intends to have its own administrator or board president conduct the investigation or retain our firm’s investigative services, our attorneys will provide full counsel regarding conflict-free practices.
- Human Resources counseling and risk reduction: We advise school districts on all aspects of personnel matters, including benefits, contract negotiations and interpretation, leaves of absence, FMLA issues, federal and state discrimination laws, wage and hour laws, union matters, policy drafting and implementation, regulatory compliance, and workplace training.
- Court and Administrative Proceedings: Our attorneys provide defense of school districts in claims brought in court proceedings or administrative proceedings, including those with the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Office for Civil Rights.
- Title IX counseling and training: We are qualified to counsel and train school districts on Title IX matters in compliance with the new rule issued under the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (effective in August 2020). We offer training and counseling services to school districts needing advice and guidance during the Title IX process. We also have qualified attorneys who can act as outside, neutral Title IX investigators and Title IX decision-makers.
- Labor Union Disputes and Negotiations: Our labor law attorneys are experienced in providing legal counsel during disputes and negotiations with labor unions, including teachers education associations and administrators collective bargaining units. We provide full representation during collective bargaining negotiations and can act as a member of a school board’s negotiation committee; provide legal counsel throughout negotiations; provide representation during impasse; and/or provide legal counsel regarding the negotiated agreement throughout the year.