Angie E. Lord
Fargo, North Dakota
- Health Care Law
- Professional Liability
- Alternative Dispute Resolution & Mediation
Admitted to Practice
- North Dakota, 1995
- Minnesota, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota, 1998
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
Angie is a trial lawyer with over 20 years of experience with a focus on representing physicians, multi-specialty health systems, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare professionals in medical malpractice matters in North Dakota and Minnesota. A strategic thinker, Angie serves her clients with dedication and works collaboratively with clients to develop a shared litigation strategy to obtain results so that her healthcare clients can remain focused on serving others.
Angie has been recognized for her professionalism, preparation, and advocacy skills, including attaining the AV Preeminent peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell; being inducted as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society with membership limited to one-half of one percent of American lawyers and by invitation only; and being elected into membership of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Angie was first selected for inclusion with the inaugural Great Plains Super Lawyers listing in 2007, and has been included in all subsequent listings since that time, in addition to regularly being included in The Best Lawyers in America since 2006.
In addition to her advocacy at the trial court level, Angie also has experience with appellate advocacy with notable cases on appeal including B.D.H. v. Mickelson, 2010 ND 235, 792 N.W.2d 169, dismissing as a matter of law a wrongful life claim against medical providers, and Hoffner v. Johnson, 2003 ND 79, 660 N.W.2d 909, upholding North Dakota’s statute of repose for medical malpractice claims to constitutional challenges.
In addition to advocacy, Angie’s health law practice includes counseling medical providers on risk management and claims prevention; as an invited speaker, addressing medical students, healthcare administration students, physician groups and health systems, and attorneys; and representing providers in professional board and licensing matters. As a qualified neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice and included on North Dakota’s Neutral Roster maintained by the North Dakota Supreme Court Administrator’s Office, Angie is available as a mediator in select cases in Minnesota and North Dakota.
Angie graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of North Dakota with a B.A. in Political Science and with distinction from the University of North Dakota School of Law, where she earned Order of the Coif designation for her academic achievement and Order of the Barristers recognition for her advocacy skills. She also served as Symposium Editor for the University of North Dakota Law Review. While in private practice at the firm, Angie also taught as an adjunct instructor at the University of North Dakota School of Law in the areas of legal writing and appellate advocacy.
Before joining the firm, Angie clerked for Chief Justice Gerald W. VandeWalle, of the North Dakota Supreme Court, and for Judge David S. Doty, of the U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
At the firm, Angie chairs the Litigation Practice Group, comprised of all litigation attorneys and paralegals, and is an elected officer on Vogel Law Firm’s management team.
Angie and her husband, Winston, are both proud natives of Cando, North Dakota, and have two children. Angie enjoys seizing the day and spending time with family, taking in Minnesota lakes country on the shores of Lake Lida, making the occasional culinary experiment, traveling, and planning the next family adventure.
Honors and Distinctions
- “The Best Lawyers in America” in Health Care, 2006 – 2021
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®, Thomson Reuters, 2007 – 2021
- Listed in Band 1, the highest ranking, as a Leading North Dakota Medical Malpractice Defense Litigation attorney by Chambers USA, 2008 – 2021
- Awarded the highest possible, Martindale-Hubbell Peer-Review Rating, AV Preeminent® (AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Cass County Bar Association
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Bar Foundation, Felow