Brent is a civil litigator who represents individuals and businesses in a wide range of disputes. Among his areas of focus, Brent represents lawyers and other professionals in malpractice and professional discipline matters. He also represents individuals and businesses in contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes, and contested matters before state and federal regulatory agencies. An experienced trial and appellate lawyer, Brent has tried jury cases to verdict in North Dakota, Minnesota and U.S. District Court and has argued over 60 appeals before the North Dakota Supreme Court.
Brent returned to private practice with the firm in 2015 after a stint in public service, most recently as North Dakota’s Disciplinary Counsel and previously as Executive Director of Workforce Safety & Insurance. He received his undergraduate degree from North Dakota State University and graduated with distinction from the University of North Dakota School of Law. He has also attended regional and advanced trial advocacy training sessions of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
A member of the ABA Center for Professional Responsibility, Brent is a frequent presenter on legal ethics and professional responsibility issues.
Brent and his wife, Jacqueline (Jaci), a licensed professional counselor, live in Fargo. Brent and Jaci enjoy spending time with family and friends in the Minnesota lake country.
Honors and Distinctions
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®, Thomson/Reuters, 2018 – 2023
- “The Best Lawyers in America’, in Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Insurance, and Professional Malpractice – Defendants, Woodward/White, 2024
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- American Bar Association (Center for Professional Responsibility)
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
Admitted to Practice
- North Dakota, 1984
- Minnesota, 1984
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court