Mark A. Friese
Mark’s primary practice area is criminal law. Additionally, Mark practices in general litigation. Prior to joining the firm, Mark was a law clerk to the Honorable Dale V. Sandstrom of the North Dakota Supreme Court. Mark received undergraduate degrees in Criminal Justice and Social/Behavioral Sciences from Bismarck State College and the University of Mary in Bismarck, North Dakota. He received his law degree, with distinction, from the University of North Dakota School of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Mark was a Bismarck police officer for over 5 years. As an officer, he performed numerous additional duties, including: field and recruit training; membership on the tactical team and bomb disposal team; and chemical test operator. Mark has trained law enforcement officers at seminars conducted throughout the United States. Mark also teaches law-related topics at North Dakota State University in Fargo and the University of North Dakota School of Law in Grand Forks. He frequently speaks for criminal justice organizations across the state.
Mark retired from the North Dakota Army National Guard after serving for over 24 years, holding numerous positions, including platoon leader, executive officer, detachment commander, company commander, battalion staff, assistant staff judge advocate and state judge advocate.
Mark is a charter member and former Secretary of the North Dakota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Since 2010, Mark has served as the District of North Dakota Criminal Justice Act Panel Representative.
Honors and Distinctions
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2023
- Great Plains Super Lawyers ®, Thomson Reuters, 2011 – 2021
- “The Best Lawyers in America”, DUI/DWI/Defense and Criminal Defense: General Practice, Woodward/White, 2010 – 2021
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- North Dakota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Admitted to Practice
- North Dakota, 2000
- Minnesota, 2001
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
EXPERIENCE THE VOGEL LAW FIRM DIFFERENCE
Quality legal service starts with contacting us. Call 800-677-5024 or submit the form to request a consultation.